Foods You Should Never Reheat and Why

Reheating oils or deep-fried food can be dangerous. Reheating frying oil increases trans-fat content.


A spring roll's numerous layers make it hard to duplicate its crunchy texture after cooking and cooling.

A spring roll

Breast milk should never be microwaved. Reheated breast milk may harm newborns and lose nutrients.

Breast milk

Eggs may carry Salmonella enteritidis, which causes food poisoning.


Chicken prepared in different ways can contain Salmonella. Reheating and reheating can cause cooking errors and food poisoning. 


Shellfish including clams, mussels, oysters, and scallops can transmit food poisoning germs.

Mussels, oysters, clams

Delicate mushrooms can spoil and upset your stomach if not prepared and stored properly. Avoid reheating mushrooms cooked over 24 hours.


Room-temperature potatoes should not be reheated. Potatoes can contain Clostridium botulinum, which can cause botulism.


Reheating beets converts their nitrates into nitrites. Beets are nutritious when eaten fresh or immediately after cooking, but avoid reheating.


Rice is best eaten right away. Bacillus cereus spores in raw rice can induce food illness.

Plain rice

Creamy risotto can spoil rapidly in the fridge. Adjust amounts to prepare only what you need and eliminate leftovers.